Wednesday, November 11, 2009

New computer

While this is not exactly a post about entertainment, I think it's appropriate. A few months ago, I did a major overhaul on my desktop, gutting it and replacing the aging components with shiny new ones.

Old System:
Motherboard: Can't remember. Too lazy to dig it out.
Processor: AMD Athlon 3500+ (2.2 GHz)
RAM: 2 x 2GB A-DATA DDR2 800 SDRAM
Storage: 250GB Seagate Barracuda
Graphics: ASUS RadeonHD 3450 256MB 64-bit GDDR2
Optical 1: LG IDE DVD Super-Multi
Optical 2: A-Open IDE DVD-ROM

New System:
Motherboard: ECS X58B-A LGA-1366 ATX
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 (4 x 2.66 GHz)
RAM: 3 x 2GB G.SKILL DDR3 1333 SDRAM
Storage: 250GB Seagate Barracuda
Graphics: EVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2
Optical: HP 22x SATA DVD Super-Multi

I love my new system. It runs so much smoother than my old system, and working from a clean hard drive is really nice. I'll need to expand my storage soon, since I only have about a quarter of my space left, but I've still got some time. I really hated having to buy another optical drive, but the motherboard I bought didn't have any PATA connections, so I didn't have much of a choice.

I really love having 8 cores to work with. In the past, I lent my computer to the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS), but I had to stop because it used so much of my processing power that I could only run it for a few hours a day. Now, however, I have assigned it four of my cores, and my computer hasn't slowed down at all. It's fantastic.

1 comment: